September 22 - 26 is Weight Stigma Awareness Week (WSAW), a week-long awareness campaign devoted to promote education and action around weight stigma and its effects on health, eating behaviors and overall well-being in schools, healthcare and employment settings, and amongst individuals, family and friends.
WSAW has two primary goals: 1) Increase awareness of the pervasiveness and destructive nature of weight stigma, and 2) To provide effective strategies for combating weight stigma.
This year's WSAW theme is Tools That Build Conversations: Initiating the Weight Stigma Talk.
I'm challenging YOU to participate in this year's WSAW and spread awareness. Here's how you can participate:
- Join the WSAW Facebook event page. You can learn more about weight stigma and WSAW week, share status updates, and even invite friends to join the cause.
- Check out WSAW on the Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) website for more information and details about the week. Take what you learn and create your own original blog posts, tweets, pins... you get the picture.
- Like BEDA and BingeBehavior.com on Facebook. You can learn more about WSAW and share status updates and memes to help spread accurate information and awareness.
- Follow the movement on twitter via #WSAW2014. Tweet, RT, and favorite at #WSAW2014. You can follow me on twitter @CFJCounseling.
- Get creative on Pinterest. Pin WSAW memes or get creative and pin original pics that reduce weight stigma; don't forget to use #WSAW2014. You can follow me on pinterest @CFJCounseling. I have an entire board dedicated to WSAW here.
I am excited to be contributing to WSAW again this year! I will be blogging on tools to help psychotherapists become more aware of weight stigma and help them prevent weight stigma.
See you out in the blogosphere, twitterverse, and Pinterest... land?
Follow CFJ Counseling on Twitter.
Follow CFJ Counseling on Pinterest.
Weight Stigma Awareness Week Gallery
Tweet, Post, Pin!