Next week, September 23 - 27, is Weight Stigma Awareness Week (WSAW), a week-long awareness campaign devoted to promote education and action around weight stigma and its effects on health, eating behaviors and overall well-being in schools, healthcare and employment settings, and amongst individuals, family and friends.
WSAW has two primary goals:
1) Increase awareness of the pervasiveness and destructive nature of weight stigma, and
2) To provide effective strategies for combating weight stigma
How you can participate:
- Join the WSAW Facebook event page. You can learn more about weight stigma and WSAW week, share status updates, and even invite friends to join the cause.
- Check out WSAW on the Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) website for more information and details about the week. Take what you learn and create your own original blog posts, tweets, pins... you get the picture.
- Like BEDA and BingeBehavior.com on Facebook. You can learn more about WSAW and share status updates and memes to help spread accurate information and awareness.
- Join a live tweetchat on Wednesday, Sept 25th, using the hashtag #WSAW. Hosted by BEDA Founder and President Chevese Turner, Wednesday’s Tweetchat will feature special guest Dr. Ralph Carson. Dr. Carson will be taking questions and discussing the Neurobiology of Weight Stigma.
- Take a sneak peak at the WSAW schedule. See what is in store for the week!
I am excited to be contributing to WSAW this year! I will be blogging on "Weight Stigma Viewed Through an Eating Disorder Lens" on Tuesday, the 24th. You will be able to read the blog on BEDA's website, so be sure to check it out!
See you out in the blogosphere, twitterverse, and Pinterest... land?
Follow CFJ Counseling on Twitter.
Follow CFJ Counseling on Pinterest.