Today kicks off Binge Eating Disorder Week, a week-long awareness campaign devoted to honor and celebrate the inclusion of Binge Eating Disorder (BED) in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
Two of the goals this week are to dispel the myriad of myths about BED and to raise awareness about BED in order to create more understanding about the difficult realities of this specific type of eating disorder.
The "do one thing a day" social media challenge:
To help support these aims, I'm challenging you to utilize the power of social media and to do just one thing each day this week to help dispel myths about BED, spread accurate information, and raise awareness about this lesser known eating disorder.
Here are some ideas:
- Join the BED Facebook event page. You can learn more about BED and BED week, share status updates, and even invite friends to join the cause.
- Check out Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) online and BingeBehavior.com for BED forums, information, and support. Take what you learn and create your own original blog posts, tweets, pins... you get the picture.
- Like BEDA Online and Beutiful Magazine on Facebook. You can learn more about BED and share status updates to help spread accurate information and awareness.
- Join a live tweetchat on Wednesday, May 29th from 12 to 1 pm EST using the hashtag #BEDCHAT. Tweet, RT, and favorite articles, newsletters, blog posts and tweets focusing on education, preventing weight bias and stigma, promoting positive body image and legislative activism, as well as information on where to find support. Hashtags will be #BEDWEEK, #DSM5, #BEDAWARENESS, #EATINGDISORDER and #ED.
- Continue to check back here on the CFJ Counseling Blog this week to learn more about BED. Don't forget to share the posts on your social media sites to help spread awareness of BED.
Do you have more ideas? Please share them in the comments section below for others to see.
See you out in the blogosphere, twitterverse, and Pinterest... land?