Thanks to everyone who has been supporting Texas HB 3227, the bill calling for eating disorders to be added to the list of serious mental illnesses requiring health insurance coverage in the state of Texas. Your phone calls, letters, emails, and presence at the hearings are making a huge difference!
The bill passed in the Texas House on Friday! It will now be heard by the Senate State Affairs Committee. The members of the Senate Committee need to hear from you!
How to continue supporting HB 3227:
- Call the Chair of the Senate State Affairs Committee, Senator Robert Duncan, to ask him to post HB 3227 for a committee vote. His office phone number is (512) 463-0128.
- Call the members of the Committee to ask them to vote yes on HB 3227. The targets for phone calls are Senators Deuell, Ellis, Fraser, Huffman, Lucio, Nichols, Van de Putte, and Williams. Click here to see the contact information for these legislators.
- If you cannot call, take a few minutes to send a letter to the members of the Senate State Affairs Committee asking them to vote yes on HB 3227 by clicking here. Please be sure to personalize the letter and add your own message!
Here are some points to consider including in your message:
- Eating Disorders have the highest mortality rate of ANY mental illness.
- It will not cost the state of Texas ANYTHING if this bill gets passed. In fact, it will reduce long-term healthcare costs.
- Only 1 in 10 individuals with eating disorders receive any kind of treatment.
- It's estimated that there are over 400,000 people in Texas alone with eating disorders.
- There is no conflict between this bill and the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Share your own story. Why is this bill important to you? How has the lack of insurance coverage for eating disorders impacted you or a loved one?
For more information about this bill, or to get involved with members of your state, please visit www.austinfed.org or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Continue to check back here, on the CFJCounseling Blog to learn the latest info.
Thanks again to all who are working hard on getting this bill passed and making your voice heard! We can do this!
"Whenever one person steps up and says, 'Wait a minute. This is wrong!' It helps other people do the same." - Gloria Steinem
Last updated: 5/13/13, 4:54 pm CST